Find Joy. Seek Truth. Be Kind.

Thursday, January 17, 2019

The power of story

I've started a new gig - storytelling in elementary schools.  Not reading books aloud, but oral story telling, introducing the kids to this enduring tradition.


I did a training with Spellbinders back in August, and by October was telling in my assigned school.  I tell to 60 first graders and their teachers once a month.

It's a little intimidating (especially to someone with cognitive challenges leftover from chemo) but it's also really fun.  I get to pick the stories and songs, which lets me be a little subversive, slipping in values I treasure.  I just need to keep it age appropriate and make sure I take exactly 25 min.  I start at 12pm, and lunch is at 12:25.  You don't want to mess with lunch.

I love this age, old enough to begin to understand, young enough to not be cynical.  They are funny and engaging.  I told a story that had a grandma giving kisses, lots of "Ewww!"(more for this kisses than for the animals she kissed), but they still loved the story.  I told a Baba Yaga story and watched their eyes go wide, one hid behind her hands.  I was worried about keeping so many kids of this squirrelly age engaged, but it hasn't been a problem.

As I was leaving last time I had this conversation

Boy 1: "What did you do to us?"
Me:  "I told you stories"
Boy 2:  "Did you hypnotize us?"
Me:  "No, I woke up your imagination"

I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of it.





No comments: