Find Joy. Seek Truth. Be Kind.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Reading lists

Books. There's never enough of them, nor enough time to read them all. But I keep at it anyway.

I just finished "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss - a most excellent way to enjoy several late nights. So of course I had to see if the sequel was out. It is, but not at our library. Gotta love Prospector! It'll be winging it's way to me soon, I hope.

All this led me to check out this new author's blog where I found his excellent lists of SF/F books. (If you go link to this be sure to scroll through the comments as there are other authors recommended there too.) Now, I've read most of the books on these lists, but there are some books I haven't, and even a few authors I wasn't aware of. Yea!!

As I look through this list it dawns on me that most of these books are appropriate for what is now called the "young adult" audience. Back in my day we called ourselves teens, while holding jobs, walking miles to school (uphill both ways, I'm sure), and doing the house work at home. Now a days, apparently "teens" are "young adults", although fewer of them seem to be holding jobs or doing housework, and most seem to have cars and cell phones. What's up with that?

Anyway, these lists might be a great resource to young readers, like my 13yo, who feel they have read all the good books already. :-D

No comments: